Friday, March 23, 2007

Insane Prophecy of the Day

Since I love making seemingly ridiculous predictions and don't get terribly bent about missing the mark sometimes (unlike some of the anti-Fox debate folks who having won the battle are attempting to keep the battle alive, please, you won, now let it die) I have one that ought to set at least a few people either laughing or screaming.

I'd give it at least a 30% to 40% chance that Arnold Schwarzenegger R-Governor of California will endorse....Bill Richardson. Crazy, huh?

Think it through. Schwarzenegger cannot run for president, he cannot run for governor again, he's young and I do not believe tired of politics. That leaves a senate seat. A senate seat currently occupied by Barbara Boxer (D-CA) in a heavily Democratic district.

Schwarzenegger has nothing to lose by offing his party and everything to gain by endorsing a Democrat. Even so I don't see him doing a total backflip over to the far left and there is only one candidate who's platform is reasonably close to his own, Richardson. Most of the Republican candidates are miles away from matching the Gubernator on nearly any issue besides the very obvious fact that endorsing most of them would end any chance of him ever being elected in Marin and Sonoma counties. Say what you will, the Gubernator is not retarded, if I know this then you can bet he does too.

It would also fit in quite handily with his recent calls for bi-partisanship.

Ok, it's a longshot. A very wild longshot but I figured out a long time ago that if I could think it, it could happen.

9 comments:

Holden said...

I thought about that as a possibility too, but it seems unlikely when Rudy Giuliani is in the race. RG seems like the closest "fit" to Arnold's politics.

TomCat said...

Hi NYM. That should be interesting to watch. the Governator is full of surprised these days.

I'm not picking on you, but there's another surprise for you on my top post today. The picture is kind of hokey, but it's what i could find on short notice. If you'd like a signature graphic based on a pic of your choice, let me know. :-)

Women on the Verge said...

Ahhhnuld isn't retarded... he just has a difficult time thinking with so much blood being sent to his nether regions...

e

Not Your Mama said...

Holden: yes, agree he might go with Giuliani but I think "Ahnold" is going to wait around and see how Giuliani plays in CA.

I'm factoring in that two of his pet projects are his health care plan and his energy plans. Giuliani is not likely to get on the same page with either and he's worked closely with Richardson on at least one.

Also doubtful Giuliani is going to give CA the love on Arnie's other pet peeve....return on federal dollars paid.

Still slim odds but I'm not ruling it out just yet. Let's see how the polls shake out.

Tomcat: OMG, that's hysterical! Hey, if I looked like that cowgirl I'd run for office, you know she'd win ;). 'Grats on 5000!

Not Your Mama said...

WOTV: I was still in CA when the push to recall Gray Davis happened. I was opposed and even more opposed to Arnie becoming Governor but that was when I moved to NV.

The beginning of his first term was rocky to say the least and he alienated some very powerful voting blocs. I give him credit for being less stubborn than the Bushies...he accepted reality and changed positions.

He won by a huge margin in 2006 because

1. he managed to move more to the center and not muck up the state too badly and

2. contrary to popular opinion, CA is not wildly liberal (I lived there for 20 years, trust me on this). Angelides was too far left on many issues to appeal to most voters and he was simply overall too weak a candidate.

If you look at CA's governors over the last 20 or 30 years you'll see it is not "liberal paradise". The majority are centrist though fairly liberal on social issues and if push comes to shove, will usually lean right when it comes to economic issues.

A reality our party has been pretty consistent about pretending does not exist. Like it or not, most of the west votes with its pocketbook.

Kiyotoe said...

I always assumed that Cali would be a major liberal state but you're right, it's not so. I realized that all in the summer of '04 while I stayed with my dad and my new baby sister.

I learned a lot (politically) that summer.

by the way, came via Woozie's place.

Not Your Mama said...

Welcome kiyotoe ;). Ran over to your blog, your most recent post, Pvt. Trip - 2007 really grabbed me. I've been concerned about that very thing for a while. Time we start talking about it before it comes to a head.

BadTux said...

California is not "liberal" by any realistic definition of the term, but California isn't batshit nutzoid like those dingbats in the trailer trash flyover states who vote for the exact same politicians who are exporting their jobs to Mexico and China, and in today's politics "sane" = "liberal". Thus since California's politicians by and large aren't insane ideologues, they're "liberals".

Remember, "sane" = "liberal" in Newspeak...

- Badtux the Orwellian Penguin

TomCat said...

Thanks, NYM!! I think you'd win if you looked like you too!