Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I'm a Terrible Person and I'm Really OK With That

We'd probably all be a lot better off if we faced up to the fact that deep down we really are kind of a vicious, predatory species. It's easier to excercise a bit of control over something if you at least acknowledge a problem exists.

That said, I'm having a difficult time controlling my dark side today. I'll refrain from dancing joyfully in the street and confine myself to refurbishing my Tinky-Winky doll.

I honestly do wish I could say I'm sorry but I can't. Jerry Falwell singlehandedly did more to destroy intelligent debate and discourse in this country than nearly any other individual. He was among the most powerful leaders in modern times to elevate the idea of demonizing groups of people as a matter of public policy to an actual talking point. He spent his entire life advocating to take away the rights of women, minorities, gays, and insert any other people who are not white, evangelical Christians.

Most of the media and public figures decided to treat him as though he simply had a different but valid point of view. He didn't and I don't care how many coats of whitewash you try to put on it, his words and actions were destructive, damaging to our country and in many cases....downright evil. Advocating for state sponsored discrimination and fewer civil rights for any group of people is not an "alternative viewpoint", it's unacceptable to any civilized person.

Adios Jerry, you will not be missed.

6 comments:

Omnipotent Poobah said...

I posted on this today too. I had the same problem you did trying to strike the right tone.

I'm not one for speaking ill of the dead, but the man was a crapweasel.

I tried to be a little snarky, but not go over the top. I think I may have come across too wimpy in the process, but your post works for me.

Anonymous said...

What's with all this crap about not speaking ill of the dead? Does death change a person's persona? No, the man's a total jerk alive or dead. I had no respect for him alive and I won't have any for him dead. I, too, wrote on the subject, but briefly - he was not worth the waste of time.

Not Your Mama said...

Most times I'll just leave it alone when someone has died but it was hearing the media start eulogizing like this was some heroic figure when in truth this was a man who did a great deal of harm both directly and indirectly to a great many people.

Not to beat a dead horse (pun intended) but I think letting the glowing eulogies stand in this particular case would be more detrimental than a few harsh words.

The Fabulous Kitty Glendower said...

I notice that there are a few others who are not treading lighly. Have you been to Field's blog yet? LOL!

Anonymous said...

Just to make sure, I have decided to live my life as much contrary to that of Jerry's as possible. You see, I don't want to find myself in hell with him. Come to think of it, I don't want to find us together in heaven either.

Not Your Mama said...

I read Fields' post and everyone elses too! I was surprised at how many there were, it seems we've all lost our reticence this time around.

I'll personally draw the line at saying he was evil, I think he was twisted and delusional but what he DID was evil and his "legacy" should not be allowed to stand.