Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Some Days It Doesn't Suck to Be in Nevada

I did my time in California and I'd be the last person to say it doesn't have it's good points but there are several reasons I'd never consider moving back. Here is one of the main ones.

RHE man gets jail time for property fixes

He built a fence, a retaining wall, a patio and a few concrete columns to decorate his driveway, and now Francisco Linares is going to jail for it.

The 51-year-old bought the nearly 1-acre property in the 4600 block of Palos Verdes Drive North in 1998. After tearing down an adobe house on the site and building a 3,000-square-foot French-style home, he began landscaping.

When Linares asked the city to repair the white three-railed fence behind his house, he was told it was on his property and his responsibility. So he replaced the termite-infested planks. Then the city reversed itself and said Linares had illegally built the fence on city property.

In October 2004, the city charged Linares with three misdemeanors: for not taking down the fence, having a retaining wall built higher than a 2-foot restriction and for erecting stone columns without a neighborhood compatibility analysis. Later inspections found eight other violations, including a lack of permits for plumbing and grading.

Spin it any way you want to, you can't take a piss in California without a permit and good luck getting one in your lifetime. Don't even think about holding a yard sale without buying a permit either unless you don't mind a free weekend in the pokey. I knew it was time to get out of Dodge when I saw a 68-year old woman dragged out of her home in handcuffs and jailed for.....not having a city tag for her dog.

See in CA it's just too much trouble to go after people committing real crimes, like you know, shooting children in drive-by's. Much more cost effective to jail low-income grandmothers for unpaid doggie fines or those pesky homeless people collecting cans for resale.

After 20 years of watching all semblance of common sense buried under multiple layers of bureaucratic bullshit and more layers being added daily it was time to go. Nowadays I use the odd job recruiting letter the state tries to lure escapees back with to line the cat box.

Nevada definitely has it's troubles but at least I won't be going to jail if I decide to sell my tomatoes or build a fence.

5 comments:

Flimsy Sanity said...

Life ain't fair anywhere, dear. The man behind me got a fine for parking his truck on the street, but the guy down the road does it regularly (the cops party at his house). Once my car was hit by a drunk city councilman and he was fined for "undue care" not drunk driving and leaving the scene of an accident. I bet if you dug a little deeper, the guy squawked about the fence and all the other stuff is retaliation.

Not Your Mama said...

Sure, stuff happens everywhere but in CA it's gone beyond ridiculous. It's like living under constant surveillance.

Almost everyone I know has left, part of the big "middle class exodus" they're whining about.

Funniest story I recall was a family from NYC who had a tough time adapting. They couldn't understand why they never saw children out playing.

TomCat said...

Mama, that place sounds positively Californicated!

Not Your Mama said...

I don't miss it. My bank was robbed 4 times in the last 2 years I was there, it's like the state sport. The last time was pretty cool though, it was robbed by an elderly man in boxer shorts.

TomCat said...

LMAO!!