Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hope She Has Small Feet

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she said for an article aptly headlined "Geraldine Ferraro lets her emotions do the talking."

She went on: "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept." LA Times

Well...yes, and if I had been born a black man odds are good I'd either be dead or in prison and not writing this blog so what is your point? Oh no, for one of the first times in history being a black man is to at least some extent turning out to be an advantage and that is just driving you crazy. Deal with it.

Spin it any way you please, there is no way you can convince anyone even remotely honest that Hillary Clinton being female has not worked to her advantage as well. Those long lines of old ladies never turned out for Dubya or even for Al Gore, if they had we'd probably not be having this conversation now would we?

While we're on it, if Hillary had not been born a wealthy white woman would she be in the position she is in now? If she were not married to a former president would she and more to the point....if she had been born black would Bubba have married her in the first place?

If my ass were a cash register I'd be sipping latte in Rome. People are born who they are and sometimes it works out to be an advantage and sometimes it doesn't and Barack Obama didn't make up them rules, the rest of us did so you're damned straight I'm caught up in "the concept"and I make no apologies for it.

Unfortunately any advantage Clinton's marital ties or type of genitalia may have given her is negated by the fact that she also possesses both the personality and the character of a psychopathic troll. We've already had a slew of those and at least some of us are ready for something different.

Personally I'm damned thankful Obama was not born a white man because it's true, he might not be where he is today and that would have been a tremendous loss for all of us.

12 comments:

Featheriver said...

I must disagree with Geraldine Ferraro to a certain extent. I think Obama is in the position he is in because of what he is advocating: change in the way Washington, D.C. does it's politics. I don't think his race has much, if anything to do with it. He has come along on the national scene because a very large number of Americans agree with him. Had he been 100% Caucasian wouldn't add to the power of his message. He has hit the right note at the right time in American history. Most older people can't see it, but young people do, in droves.

As to Senator Clinton's statement that if Obama was a woman he wouldn't be in the position he is in. Perhaps. But a woman pushing the same concept Obama is pushing probably would. The power is in the message, not the messenger, although Obama is a gifted messenger.

This 2008 election truly is about whether Americans really do want broad, deep and fundamental change in the way politics operates and the way government operates or whether they want to continue with the status quo of doing the same old business the same old way.

It appears younger people recognize that the status quo way hasn't got it done for decades and they're ready to go down a new road. And they have the courage to do it.

As John F. Kennedy said, "the torch has passed to a new generation." He may have been a bit premature in saying that, but odds look pretty good, right now, that the torch is passing from the old to the new.

To quote another world renown philosopher, George W. Bush, "Bring it on."

Not Your Mama said...

Of course it's the message but let's get real...everyone is pussyfooting around this one and it just makes me laugh. Sure who he happens to be gets him votes from some people, just like who Dubya happens to be got him votes from some other people. That's the way a lot of people roll so Ferraro making this comment is about the most retarded thing I've heard all year.

WTF, you think it's just a coincidence all our presidents just happened to be white men? It's sour grapes on Ferraro's part because this time around the bias may be against her candidate.

And BTW, I do believe America is ready for a female pres but like you said, it has to be more than just the messenger...there has to be a message and so far we haven't put up a female candidate who has one we want to hear.

Anonymous said...

Isn't this simply the 'Washington establishment' closing ranks around 'their' candidate? They'll pull out all the stops to get Hillary elected, even to the extent of 'offering' Obama the VP's ticket.

Not Your Mama said...

Can't imagine these two running on the same ticket. Seems like another "Al Gore might run gain" fantasy to me.

They may as well fight to the death now because the party is already fairly well shredded.

When Tim Russert nearly point blank tells voters on national television 'look idiots, you can't win the general without the African-American vote' you know shit has gone too far already.

Vigilante said...

If, in 1984, my name was Gerard Ferraro instead of Geraldine Ferraro, I would never have been the nominee for VP.

Not Your Mama said...

Truth there. I remember thinking at the time "of all the fabulous women in the world...WHY HER????"

Woozie said...

Bill Clinton would do anything with an entry point, so odds are they'd still be married if she were black.

Not Your Mama said...

I stfg if I don't have a stroke before this election is over then I'm definitely stroke-proof.

TomCat said...

If my ass were a cash register I'd be sipping latte in Rome.

More likely you'd be involved in a political scandal. ;-)

There is only one reason I can see that explains Obama's current position. He has earned it.

Anonymous said...

I gotta wonder ...is Hillary's supporters behind the wright smear?

Those Jeezus luvin' right wingers aren't smart enough to leak this shit all over Fox. Hillary loves Fox!

Not Your Mama said...

I'm not sure if I've seen all the clips but truthfully at least in the ones I've seen so far I haven't seen anything that I haven't at least thought myself so I dunno what the hoopla is all about.

I take it from the media reaction I'm supposed to be shocked and appalled though why I would be either because of a black man saying Hillary does not know squat about being poor or black escapes my reasoning. She doesn't, wtf is so shocking about that?

As for his comments about America having bombed other countries, well, we did and sometimes the truth sucks. I didn't hear him indicate in any way that that made what happened "ok", sounded to me like he was saying "actions have consequences" which is something we need to hear as uncomfortable as that would make anyone who walks around with an American flag stuck up their butt.

Aside from all that, I have no idea what any of it has to do with Sen. Obama. One of my oldest and dearest friends is a devout Southern Baptist and I'm still an Atheist so it hardly stands to reason that we share the exact same views based on our close association now does it?

Vigilante said...

Spam Alert!

BREEEP! DELETE! BREEEP! DELETE! BREEEP! DELETE! BREEEP! DELETE! BREEEP! DELETE!