Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Our Iraq Strategy

Once upon a time in China, there lived an Emperor who owned a majestic white stallion, the finest beast in all his Kingdom. One night, a thief tried to slip in and steal the horse, but was captured by the palace guards and thrown into the dungeon. The next morning, he was dragged before the Emperor's court. "How dare you," bellowed the Emperor, "lay hand on my royal steed! Jailor, put this thief to death!"

The next morning, he was dragged before the Emperor's court. "How dare you," bellowed the Emperor, "lay hand on my royal steed! Jailor, put this thief to death!"

Immediately, the thief bowed deeply. "Your judgement is peerless and wise, O Emperor," he calmly replied, "but my life is of little value. I should offer you a gift before I depart. Your mount is quite a fine one, but if your eminence would spare my life for just a year and a day, I swear to you I can teach that horse to sing hymns!"


The court burst in to laughter at that, but the Emperor was intrigued. After all, you didn't get to his high position by turning down freely offered gifts, no matter how far-fetched they seem. To the surprise of all, the Emperor quickly accepted the offer.

As they were leaving the chambers, the jailor whispered to the thief, "You are a fool!"
"I am a fool?" replied the thief, smiling broadly. "Much can happen in a year and a day. The King may die. The horse may die. I may die... and maybe the horse will learn how to sing."


That is about as good an explanation of why we are still doing what we are doing as any I've seen.

4 comments:

Vigilante said...

Awesome!

TomCat said...

The king may be impeached, but only the good die that young. The horse will likely survive as well. Only the horse's ass is likely to learn to sing, but who wants to listen to Rove?

Good one, Mama!

Anonymous said...

Simply marvelous!, for now I've finally got an excellent answer to my question; why does Bush act as he does? He obviously "thinks", that the rapture thing, in a year or two, will come soon enough to make everything better.

Women on the Verge said...

tomcat, were you referring to Sugarplum????